[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4761: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
=69.GIAP=SQUAD Forums • View topic - Missile Evasion

Missile Evasion

These aren't your grandpa's warbirds!

Moderator: =69.GIAP=Members

Missile Evasion

Postby =69.GIAP=VANYA » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Yes, I know the best way to evade missiles it not getting into situation where you're fired upon in the first place but still it has to happen sometimes. :)

When fired upon at long range, defeating a missile is easy by outrunning it. Turning around 180 degrees from the missile, afterburners on, and pitching down to trade altitude for speed. It gets you out of the missiles flight envelope, the missile loses it's energy and you live.

At close range if enemy plane is on my six I just break as hard as I can as if I'm trying to turn into the missile(or opposite of the missile if fired upon from 12) while dispensing chaffs and flares continuously. The bad thing is IR missiles don't give out a warning signal.

What gives me trouble is when fired upon from let's say medium range, where missile is not that far away that you can outrun it, nor so close that you can evade by breaking immediately. What I tried doing is putting it on my 3/9 line and when I can see it in the distance start dispensing countermeasures. However, this rarely works because the missile easily predicts my flight path and timely adjusts its. What did work is doing the same thing(3/9 line) but when it's really close start turning hard into it which will cause the missile to overshoot. The only problem is that I did it with external views where you can view the missile, without it it gets really hard to determine its closure. I also tried maintaining my heading when fired upon,maintaining it on 12, and then when the missile is really close breaking hard, but spotting the missile is the problem again. :)
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

=69.GIAP=VANYA

Postby =69.GIAP=MOLOT » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:17 pm

is it me, or did I saw exactly the same post on ED forums yesterday? :D
I think we better put our differences behind us... for science. You monster. - GlaDOS

=69.GIAP=MOLOT

Postby =69.GIAP=VANYA » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:27 pm

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

=69.GIAP=VANYA

Postby =69.GIAP=MOLOT » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:33 pm

I think we better put our differences behind us... for science. You monster. - GlaDOS

=69.GIAP=MOLOT

Postby =69.GIAP=DRAGO » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:03 pm

C!

=69.GIAP=DRAGO

Postby =69.GIAP=VANYA » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:55 am

I practiced a bit with the SPO-15 and it did help a lot.

Here's a nice pic I stumbled upon with explanation of SPO-15's indicators.

1- П - F-4, F-104 (Navy - Terrier)
2- З - Vulcan, Chapral (Navy - Sea Wolf)
3- X - Hawk
4- H - Nike-Hercules, Patriot
5- F - F-14, F-15, F-16, F-18
6- C - F-4, F-104, F-5, Mirage, Lighting, Jaguar (Navy - Talos, Terrier)

=69.GIAP=VANYA

Return to LockOn: Flaming Cliffs 2